After our final drama piece at the detention center I walked up to the front of the room. Looking at each of the young men in their eyes I said these words, “Today, I offer you no hope. No hope whatsoever. I don’t promise you a better life. I offer you nothing.” It was silent in the room as I let a few seconds go by without saying a word and just looked at as many faces as I could. Then I said it one more time, “I offer you no hope… unless, you open up the door of your heart to hear what I have to say. Please for just a few moments listen to the most important message you will ever hear. Our team is not here because we feel sorry for you. We are here because we care about your eternal salvation.”
Then I began to speak to them about sin, God’s judgment for sin and finally God’s plan of forgiveness for their life if they repent and put their faith in God. When I was done speaking, my team and I went out into the crowd to pray for as many juveniles as we could.
As I finished praying for one young man another young man named Anthony called me over requesting to speak to me. With all sincerity he looked me in the eyes and said,"You guys came just for me. I thought I was the only person in the room you were talking to.” I spent about twenty minutes listening to him and encouraging him that no matter what happens in his life never to quit. Then I prayed for him and his situation because he was going to be released from the program soon.
I believe that this was a defining moment in this young man’s life. He was hungry to surrender his life over to God, to let go of the past and forgive everyone who wronged him. Please pray for Anthony as the Holy Spirit reminds you.
Tuesday, July 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment